We're back to warm

We've had some warm, moist, humid, cool, stormy weather. Like that! We went from 60's to just above freezing, and back up to warm. We had dry, to humid, to rain, storms, and back to dry in the space of a week.

My garden is trying to grow with this warmth. I didn't really get to cut back my fruit trees, so we'll see how they do this year. The apply trees are full of blossoms and when I was out there today it was just buzzing with bees. The plum trees look like they are getting ready to blossom too. I'm not sure if I need a pollinator for the Santa Rosa plum, but I may look into that. We have yet to get any plums from it. Though we did get a couple one year, the bugs or something got to them before we could.

Last week since we have some dry days I turned up the soil in the veggie beds. This week I put in seed. I planted:
  • beet
  • broccoli
  • carrot
  • onion
  • peas
  • beans
  • sweet pepper
  • swiss chard
  • spinach
I need to get some lettuce planted too. This time I may put them in barrels instead of in the ground. I also need to get the basil out of the green house and into the yard.

Hopefully they will grow this year. I also rearranged where things went. So the peppers are not where they have been planted before. I don't know if that will make a difference, but we'll try this year and see. I am thinking I may put some of the sorrel into the permanent bed. I like sorrel, but Pat killed my other plant. I am growing some from seed this year and its in a pot. I might take some of it and move it into the ground.

But the berries look like they are doing okay. The blueberries look happy and are getting blossoms. Even the lemon trees have blossoms so maybe I'll get lemons this year. I do love the meyer lemons.

Now hopefully the weather will cooperate and growing can commence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The beginning

Nov. 14

San Antonio Nov. 2006